Re: system unresponsive on insertion of USB stick

Hi Markol

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Marko Schütz Schmuck
<MarkoSchuetz%web.de@localhost> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I just inserted a usb stick and the system repeatably became
> unresponsive. HD light was on/flickering, but keyboard/mouse
> interactions didn't work. Also sleep-button didn't have an effect. The
> relevant snippet from the log:
>
> Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: umass0: SanDisk Corporation U3 Cruzer Micro,
> rev 2.00/0.10, addr 2
> Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 2 luns per
> target
> Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <SanDisk, U3
> Cruzer Micro, 4.05> disk removable
> Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: sd0: 1952 MB, 3967 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512
> bytes/sect x 3999373 sectors
> Mar  2 10:37:03 prpad /netbsd: cd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 1: <SanDisk, U3
> Cruzer Micro, 4.05> cdrom removable
> Mar  2 10:38:18 prpad syslogd: restart
>
> Is this known? I didn't find it in gnats (but didn't look too hard...).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Marko

First of all: I have not seen your problem -- but:

I have noticed that some USBsticks present themselves at CD.
I have also experienced that some of KDE' CD-reading programs do
strange things with the CDs e.g. they want to access CDs in a very
special way.  That gave endless messages on console and log.

What I would suggest - if you use KDE is to stop KDE with
  /etc/rc.d/kdm stop
Then look if your messages stop.  If they do, then find out how NetBSD
sees your stick with
  disklabel sd0
and
  fdisk sd0
With dd save the first part of the stick.  If partition d describes
your whole stick, you could for instance make
  dd if=/dev/sd0d of=safety bs=1m count=$enough
Then try to set the disk parameters with
  fdisk --u sd0
and make it into an MSDOS file system with
  newfs_msdos /dev/rsd0d
or whatever you want

If anything goes wrong you can restore your stick with
  dd <back again>

Perhaps this may help you.

Best regards

Hans