MPPE / PPTP Problem

Hi

Hoping that somebody can help me. This is my first time using a mail-list, as such, hello and apologies if I do not follow correct etiquette.

I am trying to use PPTP to connect to my University's VPN. I adapted a linux tutorial from an ex student( http://offog.org/kentservices.html ) which indicated the correct configuration for linux, and as such have setup the equiv for NetBSD.

Firstly, I am on NetBSD 5-1 Release.

When I try to call, I receive what seems to be a confusing error message:

> CHAP authentication succeeded
> sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 <mppe +H -M +S -L -D -C>]
> rcvd [CCP ConfReq id=0x4 <mppe +H +M +S -L -D +C>]
> MPPE required but peer negotiation failed
> sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "MPPE required but peer negotiation failed"]
> sent [CCP ConfRej id=0x4 <mppe +H +M +S -L -D +C>]
> rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x5 <addr 129.12.250.183>]
> Discarded non-LCP packet when LCP not open
> rcvd [CCP ConfAck id=0x1 <mppe +H -M +S -L -D -C>]
> Discarded non-LCP packet when LCP not open
> rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2 "MPPE required but peer negotiation failed"]
> Connection terminated.
> Waiting for 1 child processes...
>   script pptp venus.kent.ac.uk --nolaunchpppd, pid 11426
> Script pptp venus.kent.ac.uk --nolaunchpppd finished (pid 11426), status = 0x0

I have mppe-lkm-0.0.4nb2 installed from pkgsrc, and have loaded it
> Type    Id   Offset Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
> MISC      0       - c428c000 0008 c428d4b8   2 mppe

And mMy PPP configuration is as follows:

/etc/ppp/peers/kentvpn

> jungle# cat /etc/ppp/peers/kentvpn
> pty "pptp venus.kent.ac.uk --nolaunchpppd"
> name UKC\\ar290
> remotename kentvpn
> lock
> noauth
> refuse-eap
> refuse-chap
> refuse-mschap
> nobsdcomp
> nodeflate
> require-mppe-128
> ipparam kentvpn
> debug

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this? I can not make sense of the mppe conversation between the server, and my machine, nor do I understand why peer neogitation fails. I've looked on ppp's website, and have not managed to find any thing that matches the symptoms. Are there any existing problems with the MPPE kernel module?

Hoping for some helpful responses, or direction on where to ask

Thanks