Re: Is fdisk necessary to partition a second disk exclusively for data?

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 23:37:06 +0000 (UTC)
christos%astron.com@localhost (Christos Zoulas) wrote:

> In article <20110106212058.10eee3cf%salix.abalta.dnsalias.net@localhost>,
> Gerard Lally  <netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> >-=-=-=-=-=-
> >
> >On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 16:32:40 +0100
> >hans dinsen-hansen <hansdinsenhansen%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Gerad & list

> >> Jes that's correct.  You do not have to use fdisk at all, if only
> >> NetBSD is using it.  The disk could be used for  "data" or
> >> whatever. E.g. /usr/pkg.
> >
> >It's much clearer to me now Hans; many thanks.
>
> Having said all of that, I always put an fdisk label on the disk even
> when I am going to use the whole disk for NetBSD. I do it because if
> I happen to plug the disk randomly on a different OS, it will not
> think that is empty and overwrite it without asking.

Thank you Christos.

I am greatly impressed with the help I have received here so far, much
of it from people who are high-level users and developers of NetBSD. I
was slightly embarrassed posting questions to the list but the patience
and kindness shown to me by respondents, some of whom have decades of
Unix experience behind them, are most welcome and heartening.

--
Gerard Lally