Re: Is fdisk necessary to partition a second disk exclusively for data?

Hi Gerad & list

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Gerard Lally <gerard%netmail.ie@localhost>
wrote:

> I<snip> ...  am I correct in
> thinking I don't need to use fdisk to partition a second disk dedicated
> entirely to data? Is disklabel partitioning enough for this second disk?

Jes that's correct.  You do not have to use fdisk at all, if only NetBSD is
using it.  The disk could be used for  "data" or whatever.  E.g. /usr/pkg.

> If so, can I offset the data partition at sector 0 or do I need to
> offset it at sector 63?

The offset 63 is a pure bootloader/DOS/window$ thing.  NetBSD can start
wherever you want.

> And finally, is a disk partitioned this way able to grow to more than 2
> TB? I understand a disk partitioned using fdisk has a 2 TB
> partition-size limit, but NetBSD supports enormous partitions of
> zetabyes, which makes me think these partitions must be created using
> disklabel !!!

You do not need fdisk for your second disk!!!!

><snip>
> Gerard Lally

Have a nice day
Hans