Re: Is fdisk necessary to partition a second disk exclusively for data?

In article <20110106212058.10eee3cf%salix.abalta.dnsalias.net@localhost>,
Gerard Lally  <netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 16:32:40 +0100
>hans dinsen-hansen <hansdinsenhansen%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gerad & list
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Gerard Lally <gerard%netmail.ie@localhost>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I<snip> ...  am I correct in
>> > thinking I don't need to use fdisk to partition a second disk
>> > dedicated entirely to data? Is disklabel partitioning enough for
>> > this second disk?
>>
>> Jes that's correct.  You do not have to use fdisk at all, if only
>> NetBSD is using it.  The disk could be used for  "data" or whatever.
>> E.g. /usr/pkg.
>
>It's much clearer to me now Hans; many thanks.

Having said all of that, I always put an fdisk label on the disk even
when I am going to use the whole disk for NetBSD. I do it because if
I happen to plug the disk randomly on a different OS, it will not think
that is empty and overwrite it without asking.

christos