Re: [ask] Sierra Wireless USB Modem Internet Configuration

In article <20101228180449.9C7D43267C%mailbackend.panix.com@localhost>,
 <rawallis%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
>Aceshura wrote,
>> It apperas that the device is detected as /*umass */and cd1 for the
>> removable disk.
>> if it using pppd, i have a copy of the sites which have explain for it,
>> but it is used for other modem. Could this work with Sierra modem, the
>> one i have the reference is for Novatel Modem.
>If dmesg spits out a ucom device, then all that Aceshura needs to do is
>use the AT&T Wireless PPP scripts that are in /usr/share/examples/pppd
>as a basis and update them to the ISP's settings. I used those as a base
>for my Sierra USB 305. (aka AT&T USBConnect Lighting.)
>
>If dmesg isn't giving a ucom device, then you will need to add support
>to NetBSD for it. You will need to do the following things.
>
>1) Run usbdevs -v to see what the USB ID for the device is. You may also
>have to search for that ID elsewhere.
>2) Sierra devices with umass and cd subdevices are mostly supported as
>u3g and ugensa. These are under sys/dev/usb. In my case, U3G disabled
>the Tru-Install mode and enabled the serial mode. ugensa then kicked in
>to provide a ucom port.
>3) Update usbdevs with the new device ID and run make -f Makefile.usbdevs
>4) Add the entries to u3g.c and ugensa.c, compile a kernel and see if
>the device gets enumerated properly.
>5) Do some sanity checks with tip/cu and ucom0 or whatever the kernel
>passes as the ucom device.
>6) Get the device working with your ISP. Use the Cingular 3G example
>given earlier as a baseline.
>7) Submit the device ID and needed changes back using send-pr.

And if you go through the trouble of finding the usb ids and adding
them, please send them back to us so we can add them to the kernel
source so that others don't have to go through the same trouble.

christos