Re: Replacing Postfix

At 10:25 Uhr -0800 21.12.2010, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>On Dec 21, 2010, at 2:53 AM, Hauke Fath wrote:
>>> Add another ~2MB resident if you also have tlsmgr running.  :-)  But yes,
>>> Postfix strikes me as very lightweight compared to most alternative MTAs.
>>
>> It does?
>>
>> % pkg_info |grep sendmail
>> sendmail-8.14.4     The well known Mail Transport Agent
>> % top -1 | grep -E 'sendmail|smmsp'
>>  701 root      85    0  3040K  992K select     2:33  0.00%  0.00% sendmail
>>  586 smmsp     85    0  3040K  884K pause      0:01  0.00%  0.00% sendmail
>
>Do you have SASL and OpenSSL linked into sendmail...?

No, not in that one.

>I get sizes of 7932K / 4036K (vs 5820K / 2732K without) just from starting
>it up, and that grows considerably if you actually send mail through it
>using STARTTLS.  When idle, they seem similar, but when you put even a
>light load through them (say 10K messages per day), sendmail is much
>bulkier in practice, IMO.  Perhaps the fine-grained control of children in
>Postfix'es main.cf contributes to that impression...

10 K messages/d ... we were originally talking about what is essentially a
nullclient, handing on system mail to the nearest MX.

We have this disccussion precisely because for a dedicated MX, the MTA
build configuration will be non-standard, even if you stick with the base
MTA. Therefore, the base MTA might as well be minimal - which a 3 MBytes
process is not, especially on Lesser Architectures, and embedded systems.

        hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281