Re: Replacing Postfix

Hi--

On Dec 20, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> But, to explain further - most setups do not need or want a heavyweight MTA.
> Heavyweight?
>
>  492 postfix   85    0    19M 2440K kqueue     0:00  0.00%  0.00% qmgr
>  508 postfix   85    0    19M 2412K kqueue     0:00  0.00%  0.00% pickup
>  500 root      85    0    19M 2408K kqueue     0:00  0.00%  0.00% master
>
> on a -current amd64 platform - it's a VM - not sure I can justify the
> /usr/libexec/postfix directory and its contents.  In particular, all I
> want from an MTA is a way to get email out to where it's going. This is
> where "email" is defined as any /etc/{daily,weekly,monthly} output.

Add another ~2MB resident if you also have tlsmgr running.  :-)  But yes,
Postfix strikes me as very lightweight compared to most alternative MTAs.

> Now don't get me wrong - I love postfix, and have been using it for ages.
> But I use it on machines where I want to send and receive mail. I don't
> usually want or need it on every single box.

I used to expect to need to administer sendmail on every Unix box I dealt with.
 And I can deal with keeping 100+ Unix boxes continually updated with the
latest sendmail patch and M4-macro generated config update, but I'm
considerably happier with the notion of dealing with Postfix more often than
sendmail.

It seems reasonable to ship an MTA with the base system, which is by default
configured off-- or possibly, configured for listening on localhost:25 for
local delivery only.

Regards,
--
-Chuck