Re: A question of RAID

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, Greg Troxel wrote:
Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> writes:

I'm in the process to set up a new server, which is Atom-330 and
ICH7/R based. I have two identical SATA disks in it and want to have
RAID-1, but I found out that I have three options:

- Software RAID via NetBSD's RAIDframe disk driver.

- "ataraid" for IntelMatrixRAID (is ICH7/R really supported?)

- Adaptec ASR 2405 hardware RAID (not supported, but seems to be
  identical to already supported models, so I would add the code for it)

I always go for RAIDframe and RAID-1; disks are free compared to labor
hours.  I have used it for a long time, probably 2001ish, and it's been
solid.  One of the benefits is that a NetBSD kernel with EITHER of those
disks in any random box will work.

I would back this up by pointing out that (by definition) there is a full userland mechanism for controlling the whole of the RAIDframe system. If you aren't careful, maintenance of hardware RAID involves booting back to its BIOS configuration tools.

--
Stephen