Re: Intel Enanched Speedstep support.

smoppy%gmail.com@localhost ("Claudio M. Alessi") writes:

>I think the only actual solution is what you suggested: replace CPU fan and
>cooler. This should solve the problem. Though I would like to know if it's
>possible to play with the fans and/or CPU clock speed via NetBSD. My CPU have
>the Speedstep support so it should be theoretically possible (it worked with MS
>Windows as you can image). This is also the main reason I opened this thread.

There is nothing to play with the fans, for some hardware you could
hack a driver though. Fans are controlled by the BIOS or some embedded
controller.

Setting clock speed is possible for most older but not recent Intel
chips with the est driver. The newer chips can only be controlled via
ACPI and we don't have a suitable driver.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost