Re: Xfree --> Xorg cookbook?

Paul Goyette wrote:
Has anyone written a step-by-step "cookbook" for upgrading X? I'm especially interested in things like:

    1. What other files (like man.conf?) need to be updated to point
       to the new directories.  Do I need to do anything special in
       /etc/rc.conf to make it start Xorg instead of Xfree?

    2. What are all the various X config files that need to be
       moved from the old directories?  Are there any new config
       files that need to be created?

    3. Are there any special considerations or things in those
       config files that need to be editted?

    4. Other than /usr/X11R6, what else should I delete when
       finished with the upgrade?

    5. Any "gotchas" to watch out for in users' ~/.xsession files?

Since -current is now switched to Xorg by default, I guess it's time for me to upgrade. But it's been so many years since I've actually done an X install, I'm totally certain that I don't even know what (or where) all the various files are. I vaguely remember /etc/X11/XF86config and then there's a file somewhere that describes the xserver and its transports, ...

I know that this is not a voyage to "where no man has gone before," but it sure would be nice if one of those pioneers has actually recorded it all in the captain's log!

TIA   :-)

I don't think there is such a detailed guide ?.
I didnt find it at least!.

But i used the approach combined at the netbsd wiki.
http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_modular_Xorg

And the guide from wintellect at bsdnexus.
http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?id=1736

I find that to work without problems (almost).

By almost i mean i have a problem with some x errors
from my own compile of rapidsvn and scite from pkgsrc
and a few other programs (but that is like in 3-5 programs out of ~700).

There is something that doesnt work with xorg modular yet.
But i cant remember what it was. anyone?.

Man pages i guess you have the MANPATH for /usr/pkg/man
And that should do it. /hmm i dont have a manpath set?)
that should be right if you have removed the /usr/X11R*
directories.

Mic