Re: Freezing with ATI Radeon 9800 (NetBSD/amd64 4.0)

I have come to a rather startling conclusion:

The graphics card works fine if a keyboard is plugged into the PS/2 port.

I usually use a Microsoft wireless USB mouse/keyboard (one USB connector for both).

This behavior is easily reproduced on NetBSD with 100% accuracy. It manifests itself with Windows too.

The enabling/disabling of USB input emulation in the BIOS has no effect.

I have logged the dmesg outputs for each scenario, plus ran a "diff -u"

http://alexhanson.org/conf/logs/dmesg-with-ps2
http://alexhanson.org/conf/logs/dmesg-without-ps2
http://alexhanson.org/conf/logs/dmesg-diff-ps2

If it helps, Xorg outputs are also logged. Keep in mind that it freezes without PS/2 keyboard:

http://alexhanson.org/conf/logs/Xorg-with-ps2
http://alexhanson.org/conf/logs/Xorg-without-ps2

I really am at a loss here. I would like to avoid the use of legacy ports when USB is the better alternative. Right now I have a PS/2 keyboard plugged in, yet use my USB keyboard for typing.

There does not seem to be any other BIOS or motherboard jumper settings that apply.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help I have already received.

-Alex Hanson