Re: Modifying topHeader to merge both navbars

On 01.08.2012 21:12, David Holland wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 01:38:22AM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
>[minimum width]
> How about 1000? I don't particularly mind if the site grows a
> scrollbar in my default width (as long as the center part doesn't
> extend off off the side, but it won't) but it should try to avoid
> looking silly.
>
> The reason my browser is 900px wide by default is that this is about
> the limit where pages that are just text become too wide to be
> legible. It's easy to click maximize when wanted.

I set to 900px. Given padding/margin and such, you might get a scrollbar
as the page may be larger than 900px (just by a few pixels though).

Curiously that makes the layout more clean when browsed via Android and
iPhone, don't ask me why. I am not a web designer.

> A lot of people out there don't seem to care about this problem (don't
> ask me why) but I can't imagine I'm the only person with a
> narrowish-by-default browser.

Wide texts are a nuisance anyway (very, very hard to read), and IMHO
they are typographical mistakes.

Web people tend to care: most sites I have taken as model make extensive
use of fixed layout (you get a central page with a background filler on
left and right), or wrap around text with multi columns layouts.

>  > >  - add cvsweb and releng links for pkgsrc in the pkgsrc/packages menu
>  >
>  > cvsweb? What about pointing to pkgsrc.se then, it's a lot more
>  > user-friendly. I know it's not part of a TNF supported site, as are some
>  > links in the "community" section anyway...
>
> That seems fine to me as well.
>
>  > What's the link to releng for pkgsrc? The one from pkgsrc-pmc?
>
> I was thinking http://releng.netbsd.org/index-pkgsrc.html since that's
> the pkgsrc portion of releng.netbsd.org.
>
> If you have other/better ideas go ahead; I was just trying to fill in
> some useful links for the pkgsrc menu.

They can be added later; if nobody wants to make the change, mail me the
idea and I will adapt the navBar accordingly.

>  > > And, maybe change "ports" to "platforms"? (Otherwise casual passersby
>  > > might be confused by analogy to freebsd ports.) I know we call them
>  > > "ports" and maybe we need to stick to that.
>  >
>  > Will do
>
> On reflection I'm not sure this should be done without a bikeshedding
> session...

I am prepared for one :) I expect to get a whole lot of mails tomorrow.

>  > > However, on the whole it's a vast improvement :-)
>  >
>  > That is the purpose :o
>
> :-)
>
>  > FWIW I will update the site tomorrow, so expect layout breakage on the
>  > go, especially for "third party" sites (blog + wiki + few pages that do
>  > not use the XSLT templates. I will migrate them on a page by page basis).
>
> go go go

incoming...

--
Jean-Yves Migeon