Re: slow su? [solved]

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:58 +0100, "Matthias Scheler"
<tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost>
wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:22:20AM +0200, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 23:33 +0100, "Matthias Scheler"
> > <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> > >
> > > It doesn't depend on the "heimdal" package on my system. Do you
> > > perhaps build the base system without Kerberos support?
> >
> > Yes, I just started doing that.
>
> May I ask why? I just wonder why people go through a lot of trouble to
> save a few megabyte of disk space.

Particularly since it costs gigabytes of disk space to download the
sources and compile a custom system rather than just installing a binary
snapshot built with the default options ...

No, I'm not such a miser about disk space, nor do I suffer from the
delusion that this sort of trivial pruning matters to performance.

Partly I do it out of aesthetic minimalism, partly out of curiosity. I'd
rather not have a bunch of code in my system for doing authentication
over the network when no remote machines have any business
authenticating me.  If the NetBSD developers kindly provide me with a
documented mk.conf switch for removing that code, I'm going to flip it,
at least on a non-essential system where I'm running -current and am
prepared to debug any subsequent fallout.  In the best case I get an OS
closer to my personal preferences for minimal effort, and if anything
goes wrong I'm guaranteed to learn something.

On a production system with other users I wouldn't mess with defaults,
wouldn't run -current, and probably wouldn't rebuild the system from
source.  On a personal machine I'm willing to do all of those things.
Sometimes I even find a bug by humouring my silly non-default
preferences.  Sometimes I even manage to fix it.  It's not a significant
contribution to the project, but it gives me some satisfaction.

Is that an acceptable response?  If not, could you explain why it
bothers you that I set MKKERBEROS=no, if indeed it does?  I might learn
something from that too.

Regards,

Ian Leroux