Re: slow su? [solved]

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 08:49:52PM +0000, David Holland wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:53:02PM +0200, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
>  > Thank you all for your suggestions, which were indeed helpful.  As
>  > expected, it wasn't a bug but a PEBKAC.  For the record:
>  > - I have /usr/pkg/bin before /usr/bin in my path
>  > - Some handy desktop apps depend on curl, which depends on heimdal,
>  >   which installs a /usr/pkg/bin/su
>  > - At my last update I set MKKERBEROS=no.
>  >
>  > So when I ran "su", I was getting a kerberised /usr/pkg/bin/su that took
>  > forever because it was waiting for a non-kerberised base system.
>  >
>  > [...]
>  >
>  > For now, I'll just revert to the conventional (base system first) path
>  > ordering.
>
> In general you want /usr/pkg/bin before /usr/bin. I think what you're
> looking for is: PKG_OPTIONS.curl=-gssapi
>
> and then: pkg_delete heimdal

I think that this papers over the acutal problem, however.  We
should likely modify the heimdal package to not replace certain
system utilities by breaking it up.  It doesn't seem like a good
idea for things in pkgsrc to replace su, login, ftp, rcp, rsh and
telnet without being a little more explicit about it.  It seems
especially suboptimal to replace su with a non-PAM aware su just
becuase you upgrade the Kerberos version on your box.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://Imrryr.ORG/~elric/