Re: slow su?

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 08:25:54AM +0200, Ian D. Leroux wrote:
 > Since updating my amd64 system to the latest -current two weeks ago
 > su(1) has been taking ~30s to display the "password" prompt. Otherwise
 > it works normally.  Other userland utilities run at normal speed, and
 > even graphical clients like sylpheed are up, running, and responsive
 > long before su, even if it's their first time being run since boot and
 > su has been run multiple times (i.e. this isn't a disk caching issue).
 > A timeout, perhaps?
 >
 > This could very well be a misconfiguration on my part, rather than an
 > actual bug.  Before I start trying to systematically revert changes I
 > made to the system around when this symptom appeared, does anyone have a
 > hint about where to look?

My first instinct would be to rebuild su without PAM and see if that
makes the problem go away. If it does, check if your PAM "config"
files have deviated from the default (while it's possible to
successfully edit them, only dedicated PAM experts seem to be able to
do so reliably) and also check if you've accidentally turned on
Kerberos.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost