Re: How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0?

 >>> I didn't do this while doing source-based upgrade 3.0/4.0 and 4.0/5.0
 >>> and everything work just fine.
 >>> Is this really necessary?
 >>
 >>   I suspect it depends on what, if any, significant changes were made
 >> in /boot and/or the boot blocks.  Which will depend, at least, on your
 >> platform, and perhaps even your hardware, as to whether or not the
 >> changes are "necessary".
 >>
 >>   I suspect it's just the wise thing to do, even when not needed.

> It is definitely the wise thing to do.

Then, it whould be very nice if somebody involved improve
"Tracking NetBSD-current" article.
AFAIK updating boot block is just absent in the documents that cover
upgrading process.

> But when you try to boot a 4.0 kernel it won't work, because there's a
> change made to the boot/kernel interface.
AFAIR I successfully upgraded my x86 box from 3.0 to 4.0 without
upgrading boot block. My first and only NetBSD CD was NetBSD-2.0.2.
Since then I did only actions mentioned here.

    http://netbsd.org/docs/current/index.html

I definitely didn't update boot block manually for more than three years
now, i.e. since 2.0.2.  It somehow works :-) Or I forget something.

> I do not really remember if
> up-to-date netbsd-3 boot code works with 4.0 or if you have to install
> the boot code and the kernel at the same time.
Interesting question. If newer kernel doesn't work with older boot block
(or will not work for future NetBSD releases), then documetation should
be updated.

> I think it would be nice if any new {xxboot bootxx /boot} features are
> needed to boot a new kernel that the features be pulled up to release-N
> before being used in N.99 or N+1.0 But I realize that's a perhaps big
> request.
It's probably easier to upgrade systems in this order:
install new boot block, install kernel, reboot, rebuild and reinstall
userspace. That is, documentation again...

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.