Re: How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0?

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 08:03:44AM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> This really does seem like something I should know the answer to,  but
> I wanted to check.  I looked in the on-line documentation,  UPDATING,
> INSTALL, and other places I could think of, but I'm not sure  I found
> enough information to feel comfortable.
>
> The typical system I use to upgrade systems is to install the new
> kernel, then reboot on the old userland, then install each of the
> other sets [I intend to load], and run postinstall with the etc set.

I always merge and cleanup stuff with etcupdate in addition to the above
mentioned steps.

> However, with the change in kernel design, which I believe now
> includes loadable modules rather than all code being located in the
> single object, I want to make sure I know *how* to "install the kernel
> and reboot on the old userland".

The GENERIC kernel is not modular in 5.0.  I don't think modules are
really safe to use in 5.0 at this point.

All you need is to copy your kernel to /netbsd, copy the new boot to
/boot from /usr/mdec/boot and install your respective bootblocks via
installboot.  Business as usual.

I just remotely upgraded 3.1_STABLE machine to 5.0 on Thursday without
any issues.

regards,

--
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --