How do I upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0?

This really does seem like something I should know the answer to, but I wanted to check. I looked in the on-line documentation, UPDATING, INSTALL, and other places I could think of, but I'm not sure I found enough information to feel comfortable.

The typical system I use to upgrade systems is to install the new kernel, then reboot on the old userland, then install each of the other sets [I intend to load], and run postinstall with the etc set.

However, with the change in kernel design, which I believe now includes loadable modules rather than all code being located in the single object, I want to make sure I know *how* to "install the kernel and reboot on the old userland".

Is this documented somewhere that I missed? Or, am I totally wrong in my thinking about what the process should be?

  Thanks much...

                      - Chris