Re: Time to change defaults for PKG_DBDIR

On Sun, 1 May 2022 at 00:32, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 11:48:10AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >> I don't think this is particularly about 10, and people can update
> >> pkgsrc and base system independently.
> >
> > My point was not about -10 but the idea that moving things in-flight
> > is always dangerous - and maybe I fall for a misunderstanding assuming
> > that the PKG_DBDIR is somehow in the binary pkgs.
>
> You aren't confused; it is in several places and that's part of the
> issue.
>
> If you mean: "It would be really good if this were fixed before 10
> starts being used, and not flipped midstream." then I agree.

As whatever is decided is baked into binary packages we have the choice of
- Switch to new PKG_DBDIR: All new pkgsrc systems are good, some
existing binary package using systems become split brain
- Have binary pkg_install decide based on system (see previous
suggestion). All new systems should be good and most old (more so than
now)
- Fix netbsd-10 to new, leave previous versions in their current mismatch

I strongly support the second option (baring another suggestion of
which I'm not currently aware :)

David