Re: Time to change defaults for PKG_DBDIR

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> I think we should make sure all official pkg build setups for netbsd-10
> are using PKG_DBDIR=/usr/pkg/pkgdb from the beginning and after the
> first quaterly branch is cut that includes those binaries switch off
> all transition help code #if NetBSD >= 10.

I don't think this is particularly about 10, and people can update
pkgsrc and base system independently.  So I am opposed to conditioning
behavior on which branch the base system is.  But I am ok in concept
with a plan (not necessarily this quarter) to outright remove all "if
foo exists, change behavior) code, once it is understood.

My somewhat fuzzy understanding (because I've avoided most of it by
settting PKG_DBDIR in pkg_install.conf and removing /var/db/pkg) is that
the current behavior is:

  if explicit PKG_DBDIR (in pkg_install.conf), use it

  if no explicit PKG_DBDIR, default to compiled-in value of PKG_DBDIR
  from mk.conf when pkg_* was built, if any

  A special rule that if PKG_DBDIR doesn't exist, but /var/db/pkg does,
  use /var/db/pkg.

So it certainly makes sense to go over all official (== posted on
ftp.netbsd.org) bulk builds for NetBSD and make sure that

  the build setups do not have /var/db/pkg, on the base system, or in
  any build chroot

  PKG_DBDIR has the value $PREFIX/pkgdb (perhaps implicitly)

Then we should understand what issues remain.