Re: Time to change defaults for PKG_DBDIR

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 08:35:02AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> (First, this is I think only about NetBSD.)

Yes!

> I have not really paid attention to the details of where we are now.  I
> spent more time than I wanted to dealing with the fallout from the last
> change.

Much appreciated - I always use your _NetBSD-pkgdb script on all new
setups first.

> Personally I have set PKG_DBDIR to /usr/pkg/pkgdb in pkg_install.conf
> pretty much everywhere.

Me too.

> I am basically in agreement that it's been a long time in transition and
> that it's time to remove the transition mechanism.  But I'm not sure
> that this is the only or main problem, if people are installing bulk
> builds with non-default PKGDB values.

I think we should make sure all official pkg build setups for netbsd-10
are using PKG_DBDIR=/usr/pkg/pkgdb from the beginning and after the
first quaterly branch is cut that includes those binaries switch off
all transition help code #if NetBSD >= 10.

Martin
(P.S.: branch for -10 will happen very soon now)