Re: Math/R package fix

Am Thu, 17 Feb 2022 15:14:32 -0700
schrieb Brook Milligan <brook%nmsu.edu@localhost>:

> It does have the space after -R and it does seem to imply that the
> -rpath option is the preferred one in this case of pointing to a
> directory.

I remember the -R/foo usage when working with Sun Studio compilers on
Solaris. There, the -R/foo was taken directly by the compiler, even. I
imagine that this is the platform option that GNU ld supports to be
compatible. The space likely comes from GNU ld preference, the syntax
without space/comma being the original.

I don't know which incarnations of native Solaris (or other OS) linkers
support the GNU style (if it originated in GNU). Looking at

	https://www.lekensteyn.nl/rpath.html

	Almost all platforms use -Wl,-rpath,. Exceptions are SunPro,
	SunOS (Solaris) and OSF/1 which use -R or -Wl,-R or -rpath.

Yeah, I worked with SunOS and Tru64 (OSF/1) before, so maybe that's why
I am more fond of the -R style;-) I guess you're not excluding anything
important with -Wl,-rpath,/foo.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

PS: I'm still furious about inclusion of -rpath options killing the
effect of LD_RUN_PATH instead of augmenting it, in asymmetry of -L and
LIBRARY_PATH. This makes handling software build environments via
environment modules harder for no reason.

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis
HPC @ Universität Hamburg