Re: Generate complementing or conflicting package?

Edgar Fuß <ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost> writes:

>> I do not see traceroute6 in net/tcptraceroute6's PLIST.
> It's called rltraceroute6.
>
>> Figure out if the tcptraceroute6 and traceroute6 bits in NDisc6 are
>> just up-to-date copies of a maintained project, or less maintained or
>> more maintained.
>
> The NDisc6 project consists of/provides ndisc6, rdisc6, rltraceroute6, tcptraceroute6 plus some other utilities.

Ah, that would have been interesting to know up front!

> net/tcptraceroute6 builds everything NDisc6 provides, but has a
> do-install that only installs rltraceroute6, tcptraceroute6, tracert6
> (a script) and the {rl,tcp}traceroute man page. It does build
> everything else, but discards it.

So it would seem that installing the rest might be in order; you might
write to $MAINTTAINER.

>> Figure out how other packaging systems treat this.
> Debian's ndisc6 includes both ndisc6/rdisc6 and rltraceroute6/tcptraceroute6 plus tcpspray6, addrinfo and dnssort.

ok, that's a clue.

> I could (would I persue this further, which I probably don't):
>
> 1. Make a package that provides the full NDisc6. That's what I called "full".
>
> 2. Make a package that provides the subset of NDisc6 I'm interested in (which is disjoint from what net/tcptraceroute6 provides). That's what I called "additional".
>
> 3. Make a package that provides the full NDisc6 minus what net/tcptraceroute provides. That's what I called "complementing".

I see - well, having a few programs that are small that you don't want,
seems better than having extra packages, overall.