Re: wip/publicfile-run: review request

Amitai Schlair wrote:
[...]
I tend to agree, particularly because DJB has placed much of his
software in the public domain, but not (yet?) publicfile. Even if
publicfile were public domain, I'm not sure I'd want to merge
djbdns-run and qmail-run back into their parent packages, and less
sure I'd want to merge more than zero and less than all three.  It's
been a while since I thought about this stuff, though. I'm open to
being persuaded.

I can think of another way to make both camps (DJB purists and pkgsrc purists) happy. By merging the -run packages to originals and making a PKG_OPTIONS option (e.g. "djb-pure"), which causes the package to be installed without the -run parts. This new option should be probably off by default, because the DJB purists ought to compile by hand so it's easy for them to switch the option and the usual pkgsrc users would probably like to use binary packages with all the -run stuff in.

Just a thought.

r.