Re: handling moved configuration files

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 08:56:30AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

>   Your example made me think, I could perhaps just add Dovecot 2.0 as a new
>   mail/dovecot2 package (also since dovecot 1.x is still supported).
>
>   That will prevent issues with automated/unattended updates, and a warning
>   MESSAGE will be sufficient.
>
> Seems ok, but really no one will want to have both installed, and they
> will CONFLICT.  So starting dovecot-2.x via rc.d and having it upgrade
> park would still be great (I like your rc.d idea).  That said, it's of
> course not fair of me to tell you to write the code....  Plus, a
> dovecot-2 with a warning and upgrade code later is still a big step
> forward.

I'm still considering both options, however my suggestion was in analogy
with Postgresql, of which we also have several conflicting versions in
pkgsrc.  The goal there is not to be able to install them in parallel, but
give users the choice between (major) versions.  There are other examples
in pkgsrc; apache, bind, mysql.

        Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen%telenet.be@localhost  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F