sed/${SED} and pax/${PAX}

Following a suggestion in a recent message I have been running "pkglint
-Wall" on a few packages that I maintain and got some odd output:

NOTE: Makefile:21: You can write "sed" instead of "${SED}".

I also got a similar message for pax.  With all the message I receive
about not using hardcoded names this struck me as odd.  Can someone
explain the reasoning behind this seeming dichotomy?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/