Re: Question about NetBSD implementation of IPv6 SLAAC and RFC4941

On 09/04/2020 04:50, Andy Ruhl wrote:
Question to anyone: Is it possible to netboot a diskless system using
IPv6? I used to do this (obviously with IPv4) a long time ago for
convenience when playing with different types of systems. Seems like
if dhcpcd is required for IPv6 to work, then the answer is no,
correct? Or am I missing something?

I don't know if this type of thing has value at the moment but things
have a way of coming full circle. Been there multiple times. IOT
devices come to mind.

With a stock kernel as of now? No.

But theres no reason we can't make a ramdisk to insert into the kernel:
https://wiki.netbsd.org/tutorials/how_to_create_bootable_netbsd_image/#index5h1

Said ramdisk will just run userland tools to get networking up and network mount what's needed. Once up, it can then pivot the root to the network and a normal boot procedure can begin.

Using this approach, the in kernel DHCP client could also be removed.

Roy