Re: Question about NetBSD implementation of IPv6 SLAAC and RFC4941

> On Apr 5, 2020, at 5:49 PM, Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
>
> On 05/04/2020 22:31, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>> In article <8e19a96e-f084-3f39-6219-4c157c87521e%marples.name@localhost>,
>> Roy Marples  <roy%marples.name@localhost> wrote:
>>> Hi List
>>>
>>> As we seem to be cutting the cruft from the kernel recently I think it's
>>> time to
>>> remove the kernel handling of router advertisements and leave it to dhcpcd -
>>> there's nothing dhcpcd can't do that the kernel can for RA handling, but the
>>> reverse is not true.
>> What about systems that don't use dhcpcd? I have statically allocated
>> addresses at work and don't use dhcpcd currently...
>
> And they will still work.
> Statically allocated means you're ignoring router advertisements.

Am I? I thought that I could still see routing advertisements for my static addresses. How about if the default
route changes (or any other specific routes)?

> And if anyone doesn't want to use dhcpcd, they are free to use an alternative such as slaacd(8) from OpenBSD.
>
>> Does the isc dhcp client offer the same functionality?
>
> I don't see what ISC dhcp client has to do with this?
> But, no it does not.

Well, dhcpcd handles DHCP, RA, SLAAC. I was wondering what I would need to run the ISC dhcp client instead...

>> How much code are we talking about?
>
> sys/netinet6/nd6_rtr.c is 2262 lines of code that can go.
> Then there is some associated glue in the other bits of netinet6 that can go as well, or become ENOTSUPP.
> Parts of ndp(8) can also go that set set RA bits.

That's a lot :-)

christos