Re: Can version bump up to 9.99.100?

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 07:00:23PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
 > That is, except for in pkgsrc, which is why I still
 > have a (very mild) concern about that one - it actually compares the
 > version numbers using its (until it gets changed) "Dewey" comparison
 > routines, and for those, 9.99.100 is uncharted territory.

No, it's not, pkgsrc-Dewey is well defined on arbitrarily large
numbers. In fact, that's in some sense the whole point of it relative
to using fixed-width fields.

The only problem that might arise is that someone might have used a
glob pattern of the form NetBSD-9.99.[7-9]* that will unexpectedly
stop working. These would appear because make doesn't know how to do
pkgsrc-Dewey computations internally. While it's possible that some of
these may exist, it's unlikely that there are many of them or that
they appear anywhere especially important.

(Patterns of the form NetBSD-[6-9]* do appear and people have been
hunting those down lately.)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost