Re: Dell PERC H330: no disks, no volumes

ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost (Edgar =?iso-8859-1?B?RnXf?=) writes:

>> -> This is attaching a H330 (RAID version) and it gets the mfii driver.
>> mfii0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: "PERC H330 Mini", firmware 25.5.9.0001
>OK, remains the question why I don't see any discs in bioctl.

>	0 Non-RAID Disk(s) found on the host adapter.
>	0 Non-RAID Disk(s) handled by BIOS
>	0 Virtual Disk(s) found on the host adapter.
>	0 Virtual Disk(s) handled by BIOS

This means you do have a RAID controller (so much for marketing) but that
you have haven't configured any RAID volumes.

>Is this normal? The only place I see discs being recognized is in the BIOS
>setup's controller setup.

Yes, in the controller setup you can create "Non-RAID Disks" (aka
JBOD) or "Virtual Disks" (aka RAID volumes) and at least the latter
could then be visible to bootloader (BIOS) and kernel. Disks that
aren't configured as either aren't visible.

In theory you could use bioctl to create and manage volumes, but the
driver doesn't implement it.