Dell PERC H330: no disks, no volumes

So after I managed to boot my new PowerEdge R6515, the next challenge is that
I have no discs.

The machine is equipped with a PERC H330 mini, a SCSI backplane and two
SATA SSDs.

I do see the discs in the BIOS's RAID controller configuration menu.
Autoconfiguration says:
	mfii0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: "PERC H330 Mini", firmware 25.5.9.0001
	mfii0: interrupting at ioapic4 pin 26
	scsibus0 at mfii0: 0 targets, 8 luns per target
	mfii0: unable to register with sysmon (rv = 86)
	mfii0: unable to create sensors
	[...]
	mfii0: physical disk inserted id 32 enclosure 32
	mfii0: physical disk inserted id 0 enclosure 32
	mfii0: physical disk inserted id 1 enclosure 32
(both with 8.2 and current), but bioctl mfii0 show says
	bioctl: no volumes available
and bioctl show disks show a header and then
	bioctl: BIOCDISK_NOVOL: Inappropriate ioctl for device

The BIOS configuration lets me set the controller mode from RAID to HBA an
I can mark individual discs as "RAID elegible", but that doesn't seem to
make a difference.

I suppose it's something stupid. Anyone using a H330?