Re: Dell PERC H330: no disks, no volumes

ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost (Edgar =?iso-8859-1?B?RnXf?=) writes:

>> These controller chips can run two different kinds of firmware.
>> The mfii driver is for talking to the RAID firmware ("IR mode")
>> while the mpii driver is for talking to the vanilla SAS firmware
>> ("IT mode").
>Ah, and how do I know which mode my card runs?
>mpii(4) explicitly mentions the Dell PERC HBA330, but the "R" in PERC
>is for RAID.
>The controller can be switched to RAID or HBA mode in the BIOS setup,
>so does it run both firmware versions?

The different firmware versions return different PCI-IDs, so that
the right driver attaches, e.g.:

mpii.c: { PCI_VENDOR_SYMBIOS,   PCI_PRODUCT_SYMBIOS_SAS3008 },
mfii.c: { PCI_VENDOR_SYMBIOS,   PCI_PRODUCT_SYMBIOS_MEGARAID_3008,

PCI_PRODUCT_SYMBIOS_SAS3008 = 0x0097
PCI_PRODUCT_SYMBIOS_MEGARAID_3008 = 0x005f

There is a PERC H330 and a PERC HBA330 and the Dell PERC9 user manual
(includes the H330) says you can boot it in HBA mode. Not sure if
that means that you can chose the firmware.

-> This is attaching a H330 (RAID version) and it gets the mfii driver.
mfii0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: "PERC H330 Mini", firmware 25.5.9.0001