Re: Dell PERC H330: no disks, no volumes

paul%whooppee.com@localhost (Paul Goyette) writes:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2022, Edgar Fu=DF wrote:
>> It appears to me we have two drivers for the SAS3008: mfii(4) and mpii(4)=
>=2E
>> Why?

>I know nothing about these drivers, but the man pages show that mfii
>works for MegaRAID devices, while mpii deaels with LSI devices.  I
>have no idea if this makes a difference.

These controller chips can run two different kinds of firmware.
The mfii driver is for talking to the RAID firmware ("IR mode")
while the mpii driver is for talking to the vanilla SAS firmware
("IT mode").

Some of the cards can even be re-flashed and used with either firmware.