Re: NetBSD/vax kernel seems stable now

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 08:43:59PM +0000, George Harvey wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:36:09 +0100
> Jochen Kunz <jkunz%unixag-kl.fh-kl.de@localhost> wrote:
>

> > If there are other people willing to help: Please test the patch
> > mentioned in
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2007/07/29/0000.html
> > Even if your machine is not of type KA5x. It is important that the
> > patch does not influence other machines. Possibly the case statement
> > needs to be split in separate paths for KA49 (VAXstation 4000-90) and
> > KA5x.
>
> The patch fixes the console on my 3100/95 (KA51) but I found that I also
> needed the SCSI patch from
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2007/08/05/0001.html
> to avoid a kernel segv.
>
> George

I have a 4000/105A (KA53-A) that also gets the console on the right port
with the patch
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2007/07/29/0000.html.

I also need
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-vax/2007/08/05/0001.html

to get past initialization of asc0. Unfortunately I don't get much
further:

asc0 at vsbus0 csr 0x26000080 vec 510 ipl 17 maskbit 1
asc0: NCR53C94, 25MHz, SCSI ID 6
scsibus0 at asc0: 8targets, 8 luns per target
Kernalized RAIDframe activated
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...

and that's it. It won't go any further.

There might be some kind of hw error. I noticed that I couldn't boot from
the disk, so I removed it. It looked as if the boot code got hung too. It
didn't help, so maybe the disk is OK but something else SCSI is wrong.

The patches seems to work, but it also seems that both are required.

Both my 3100/38 (KA42-B) and my 4000/60 (KA46-A) makes it to multi-user
with the patches applied.

--
Christer O. Andersson
Odensbacken