Re: Synology CS 407e: altboot fails to load installer.

On Mon, 9 May 2011 21:49:07 +0200
Oscar Molin <oscarmolin%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I stop it for interactive mode and then it turns off after xmit failed
> when the regular bootloader starts again.

Forget my last comment about the second SKnet port. Your config register
showed 0x93, which means it is a single-port device (bit 0 is set). It
always uses port A, so everything should be correct.

There is not much I can do. Further debugging is up to you.

But you can try running, or even installing, a NetBSD kernel without a
working NIC. Just load the install kernel into RAM over the serial line
and start it from there.

Do the following:

- loadb 2000000
  Send a NetBSD kernel with Kermit protocol.

- loadb 1000000
  Send altboot with Kermit protocol.

- go 1000000 mem:2000000

Altboot will load the kernel from RAM at 0x2000000 and starts it.
It would be interesting to see whether the kernel is able to deal with
your network chip.

When it works and you have a spare SATA disk available you could also
load the install-kernel to install NetBSD to it. Once this is done, the
kernel can be booted directly from disk and you don't have to care about
the network problems.

--
Frank Wille