Re: Synology CS 407e: altboot fails to load installer.

I tried both the snapshot and the debug version and they both gave the
same result, the output was from the debug version then I guess.

I just tried your test version, it gives the same output you predicted:

_MPC824X > go 1000000 tftp:netbsd-INSTALL
## Starting application at 0x01000000 ...

>> NetBSD/sandpoint altboot, revision 1.7 (Sun May  8 18:46:50 CEST 2011)
>> Synology DS, cpu 265 MHz, bus 132 MHz, 64MB SDRAM

config=93 chipver=b1  <<-- same values

MAC address 00:11:xx:xx:xx:xx
100Mbps-FDX
Hit any key to enter interactive mode: 0
xmit failed
xmit failed
xmit failed
xmit failed
bootp: no reply
"" not found
load failed. Restarting...

still nothing from wireshark and the network link light never turns on
in my switch either, when altboot is running.

my chip says 88E8001-LKJ1, in case that does any difference, I
couldn't find any detailed data on this chip, since it seems to be
pretty old.

How do you debug the code? Is there any debug interface available on the board?
I'd like to compare your SK init code with the one in sk98 that
synology uses if I get the time.
I'm having my last exam in a few weeks, then I might have some time to spare.

Thanks for your help

/Oscar