Re: Synology CS 407e: altboot fails to load installer.

On Mon, 9 May 2011 21:49:07 +0200
Oscar Molin <oscarmolin%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> I can confirm the light turns on at the first readkey after a short
> while. It turns off at the second readkey and then turns on again.

Ok, that's perfectly normal.

> I stop it for interactive mode and then it turns off after xmit failed
> when the regular bootloader starts again.

What does that mean? Does it turn off as a result of the xmit failure,
or does the regular bootloader turn it off.

What is the "regular bootloader"? The original Linux kernel?

On my DS101g+ the LED stays on when the firmware reboots. It is only
off after a coldstart.

> It says 0x54 just as you had on your setup.

So the whole initialization should be correct. It just fails to transmit
a frame. The driver sets up port A for transmission, sets the frame buffer
address and length and waits for the chip to clear the "OWN" flag in the
descriptor, to indicate it has been transmitted. This never happens for you.

The SKnet NIC supports two ports, and the driver assumes that there is always
only a single port A. Does the CS-407e have two ports? Or is it wired to
use port B? That could be the last reason I can imagine.

> The only anomaly I can report is that sometimes it reports 10Mpbs but
> most of the times it's 100Mbps.

That never happened to me. You should also check your cables and your
switch. Maybe replace cables and try it with another switch.

And please do not top-post. That's not the recommended style in these
mailing lists.

--
Frank Wille