Re: Troubleshooting netboot on a PowerMac G4 Cube

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:
> You can unpack the etc and base sets in an empty dir, goto dev/ and run
> "./MAKEDEV all" there, add the kernel at export the result via NFS.
> This should get you into a shell with / on the NFS share. Then just invoke
> sysinst.

I tried to follow this advice, and it almost works, but ...

(1) If I follow the macppc INSTALL doc's advice and do manual
partitioning and newfs, then tell sysinst to "Re-install",
it fails with "No root partition defined. Cannot continue".

(2) If I ignore that advice and try a normal install, using
the existing partitions I already created, it fails while
invoking disklabel with "openpty() failed".  (I also get the
openpty complaint from some other operations, such as trying
to configure the network.)

I'm a bit suspicious that etc+base is too minimal, but it's
not very obvious what to add.

One possible curveball is that I'm trying to use the
current HEAD (202208100950Z) kernel to install 9.3
userland, because I really want to pull packages from
pkgsrc rather than have to compile them locally.
Maybe this is fundamentally a bad idea, but it does
seem to almost work.

(It did occur to me that maybe I need HEAD's modules.tgz,
but adding those files changed nothing.)

			regards, tom lane