Re: Troubleshooting netboot on a PowerMac G4 Cube

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:
> On Sun, Aug 07, 2022 at 05:01:35PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> comma in the kernel file specification*.  The syntax that works
>> for me is
>> boot enet:,ofwboot.xcf enet:/netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz

> I would expect the correct command to be
> 	boot enet:ofwboot.xcf enet:/netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz
> as the "0," prefix would be a partition detail and the network loader
> would not load any partitioning.

Hmm, nope, that draws "bad IP value can't OPEN: enet:ofwboot.xcf".

> Have you tried (just for a test) to boot the plain GENERIC kernel that
> way? The MD variant could be too big, and you could use a NFS root
> to work around that.

Huh, yeah, booting 9.3 netbsd-GENERIC.gz succeeds.  I can also boot
netbsd-GENERIC.gz from the latest HEAD snapshot, although HEAD's
netbsd-GENERIC_MD.gz fails even more spectacularly, with a gripe
about "FAILED TO CLAIM PHYS 0x100000 size 0xe04000".

I'm not sure if I believe that the MD variants are "too big" though,
because this machine has 1GB RAM.  Maybe INSTALL's advice about
not changing load-base is now obsolete?  printenv shows it as
0x800000 on my machine.

			regards, tom lane