Re: Installing 8.1 on a Beige G3

Good morning :)

On Thu, 2019-08-01 at 18:53 +0200, fixerb@national.shitposting.agency
wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 13:55:42 +0200
> fixerb@national.shitposting.agency wrote:
> > Well, I ordered some new cables, we'll see how this goes.
> It did make some sort of a difference, there's less timeout errors
> and
> there's now just one for each fsbn instead of 2-3. It's a bit
> faster,
> but
> comparing the numbers, it would still take a few hours to format a
> 40GB HDD.
>
> And thanks to the new Michael for joining the discussion :)
> That overclocking part is exactly what i was worried about.
> My IDE<->USB adapter died, so I can't check the clock with Mac OS for
> now, but OFW said that the CPU and the bus are running at 300.69 &
> 66.82 Mhz respectively. Using the Low End Mac article as a reference
> (https://lowendmac.com/1997/overclocking-beige-power-mac-g3/),
> this looks really weird, especially since the jumper pack is in
> place.
> I haven't taken that close of a look at the CPU itself, since I've
> heard
> that removing it and putting it back together is it's own scary
> little
> thing, so I have no idea if it's overclocked or just a replaced CPU,
> but
> there's a serial number sticker visible, maybe you'll make something
> out of it.
> Jumpers:
> http://gopher.su/IMGopher/up/c22f7b4cd3ecf8f2bb95552c64f4cfbd.jpg
> Sticker:
> http://gopher.su/IMGopher/up/4ccd8c1fd3efa1dbf49cfbd690b78c38.jpg
> CPU info:
> http://gopher.su/IMGopher/up/ad3ffa355011d56042a281d51d55469e.jpg
>
> > if you really want to failure-dig,
> > first get your system in original spec. cpu, rams. also rams that
> > apparently "work" might behave very funny.
> You were so right about this. I got this thing with 512M RAM
> (2x128 + 1x256) and everytime I booted the thing I had to wait a few
> minutes before OFW showed up. Now that I popped out the 256M
> one, the OFW screen comes up instantly. I'll try to get it as much
> the
> OG spec as possible, but I'm really afraid that I'll have to adjust
> the
> clocks
> on this thing and screw something up somewhere.

thanks for the welcome, im already "silent listener" for some time (and
not even sure if i still have the g4 in the attic...) however what i
told you was just general advice... seen such things happen on
different architectures.

if you want to "blueprint" your machine - iE getting original specs as
a starting point, do the reverse "tuning" - step by step, while keeping
checking (yes, thats many many power cycles...). once youre running
stable under high load for a day or 2 (i tend to leave machines running
and forget about them...) you have a good starting point.

i dont think 266/333 MHz will make much of a feelable difference on a
g3 running netbsd, but hey if you can, you can.

would be nice to keep us updated and maybe someone can include this in
the "notes on models" section of the documentation?

nice day to all netbsders and thanks for all the things done :)