Re: Installing 8.1 on a Beige G3

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 13:55:42 +0200
fixerb@national.shitposting.agency wrote:
Well, I ordered some new cables, we'll see how this goes.
It did make some sort of a difference, there's less timeout errors and
there's now just one for each fsbn instead of 2-3. It's a bit faster, but
comparing the numbers, it would still take a few hours to format a
40GB HDD.

And thanks to the new Michael for joining the discussion :)
That overclocking part is exactly what i was worried about.
My IDE<->USB adapter died, so I can't check the clock with Mac OS for
now, but OFW said that the CPU and the bus are running at 300.69 &
66.82 Mhz respectively. Using the Low End Mac article as a reference
(https://lowendmac.com/1997/overclocking-beige-power-mac-g3/),
this looks really weird, especially since the jumper pack is in place.
I haven't taken that close of a look at the CPU itself, since I've heard
that removing it and putting it back together is it's own scary little
thing, so I have no idea if it's overclocked or just a replaced CPU, but
there's a serial number sticker visible, maybe you'll make something
out of it.
Jumpers: http://gopher.su/IMGopher/up/c22f7b4cd3ecf8f2bb95552c64f4cfbd.jpg Sticker: http://gopher.su/IMGopher/up/4ccd8c1fd3efa1dbf49cfbd690b78c38.jpg CPU info: http://gopher.su/IMGopher/up/ad3ffa355011d56042a281d51d55469e.jpg

if you really want to failure-dig,
first get your system in original spec. cpu, rams. also rams that
apparently "work" might behave very funny.
You were so right about this. I got this thing with 512M RAM
(2x128 + 1x256) and everytime I booted the thing I had to wait a few
minutes before OFW showed up. Now that I popped out the 256M
one, the OFW screen comes up instantly. I'll try to get it as much to the OG spec as possible, but I'm really afraid that I'll have to adjust the clocks
on this thing and screw something up somewhere.