Re: Installing 8.1 on a Beige G3

On 2019-07-19 20:39, Michael wrote:
I had the same problem with my beige G3, the IDE controllers in this
thing are notoriously sensitive - try different ( newer! ) IDE cables,
reseat all the connectors, cross fingers.
This worked on mine at least.

Thanks very much Michael, I did some swapping and while I'm still
getting some errors here and there, it appears to be working (e.g
sysinst got the disklabel written).

But as usual, as one problem gets resolved, more pop up.
Writing is agonizingly slow. The disklabel alone took ~20mins and
after that I let mkfs work for 3 hours (I left the geometry on
defaults) and it hasn't finished. During all that there are device
timeout errors popping out now and then. Fsbn numbers are
changing so I presume it actually writes something, but again, it's
terribly slow.

Should I just let it run for a week, or is there something I can do
about it?