Re: Installing 8.1 on a Beige G3

On 2019-07-23 19:17, Michael wrote:
As I said, the thing is PICKY.
IIRC bad cables caused all sorts of DMA errors on mine while MacOS
didn't have any trouble at all ( probably doesn't use DMA... )[...]
I think this is still very much the same problem.
Yeah, it probably is. I spent the last few days swapping disks and cables
and while I still get those timeout errors, a few select cables throw in
some read errors as well. Also i have this one disk that sometimes
makes the kernel panic for some reason.
Well, I ordered some new cables, we'll see how this goes.

That is not how things should go.
Did the kernel complain about DMA errors or read/write errors?
If there are read errors and the block numbers are random then you
likely have DMA errors.
With the best results I had it only says stuff about lost interrupts and
device timeouts. Example:
wdc0:0:0: lost interrupt
                      type: ata tc_bcount: 16896 tc_skip: 0
wdc0:0:0: intr with DRQ (st=0x58)
wd0c: device timeout reading fsbn 0 of 0-32 (wd0 bn 0; cn 0 tn 0 sn 0), retry
And after a few of those sometimes this gets added:
wd0: soft error (corrected)

Also about that:
Things I'd try:
- make sure the master and slave devices are jumpered correctly ( some
  drives have a 'slave present' jumper )
So you're saying to make every drive a master?
- try with only the boot drive present on the 1st IDE bus
I've read a bit of the service manual and it says that that would be the
connector closest to the IO shield, right?

Also I don't know if this is relevant to the problem, but the system is
reportedly overclocked. It says 266mhz on the label, but the guy I got this
from said that it was pushed up to 333mhz. I'm saying reportedly, cause
apparently to overclock this thing you have to do some fiddling with the
jumpers on the motherboard. I've looked there and it's equipped with the
white short-all-things mega jumper shown in the manual. I'll reimage the
disk to get Mac OS back and check it with the System Profiler, but yeah,
does this change anything?

Also thanks for all your help Michael, really appreciate it.