Re: NetBSD 8.1 on a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet

On 7/23/19 11:06 AM, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 13:07:46 -0600
> userm57%yahoo.com@localhost wrote:
>
>>> Not from OF, but I probably didn't specify the CD-ROM drive correctly:
>>>
>>> 0 > pwd /pci@80000000/mac-io@10/media-bay@34/ata1@21000/disk@0,0 ok
>>> 0 > boot
>>> /pci@800000000/mac-io@10/media-bay@34/ata1@21000/disk@0,0:,OFWBOOT.XCF;1
>>>  can't OPEN:
>>> /pci@800000000/mac-io@10/media-bay@34/ata1@21000/disk@0,0:,OFWBOOT.XCF;1
>>
>> I also tried "boot ide1/@0:0,\OFWBOOT.XCF" as per the PowerBook G3
>> Series (Wallstreet) Footnotes section near the bottom of this page:
>>
>> https://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/models.html#pbg3s
>>
>> The response was "can't OPEN: ide1/@0:0,\OFWBOOT.XCF"
>
> Did the drive actually spin up when doing any of these?

No, at least I didn't hear it.  I also tried these with the DVD-ROM module:

"boot ide1/@0:0,\OFWBOOT.XCF"
"boot ide1/@0:0,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1"

Same error each time.

> Also, did you try ...,\OFWBOOT;1 ?

Yes.  Same error: "can't OPEN ..."

I also tried lowercase "ofwboot.xcf" and "ofwboot".  Same error.  It
doesn't seem to be seeing the CD (or DVD) drive.

> ( disclaimer: I only have one OF 2.0 powerbook, a 3400c )
> Finally, where did you get the ISO? From the daily builds or the link
> in the release announcement? IIRC the ones in the daily build aren't
> hybrid HFS/iso9660s but the release ones are. That would get you around
> most of the weirdo filename stuff like ;1 etc.

I downloaded NetBSD-8.1-macppc.iso from here:
https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.1/iso/

At the top level of the CD, there are two files:
MD5 (ofwboot) = 8e900158b376bbde6941ba455d209fbb
MD5 (ofwboot.xcf) = 95376246c03143e0a50ee6290ffda4fd

and two directories:  macppc and shared

Toast identifies the iso as a Mac/ISO Hybrid CD.

> And,
> 'dir  /pci@800000000/mac-io@10/media-bay@34/ata1@21000/disk@0,0:,\' or
> somesuch actually works on some OF versions, IIRC 2.0.1 was one of them.
>
>>> Open Firmware, 2.0.1
>
> Hmm, same version as on my 3400c, which I remember as relatively benign.

Yes, 2.0.1 seems relatively painless compared to 1.x.  Whatever works on
the 3400c should work on the Wallstreet.  Are you able to boot from floppy?