Re: HOWTO for RPi4 and -current?

On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 02:50:31AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> Ah, then what I said about X is only semi-relevant.  From an X
> perspective it then becomes a question of omxplayer being (or not
> being) well-designed enough to ensure that the display it puts up obeys
> the semantics for an X client window, because it isn't a normal client
> window.

Ok. I'll still try and see what happens, because I am able to write a
command that makes wm to focus on omxplayer 'window'. So let's see.

But wonder, with due respect for the immensely popular pi's designers, why
are some things (like GPU interface) so complicated - rather so different
that OSS developers aren't able to leverage the GPU?

What design compulsions force it to be like that? Such that only their own
media player works with the GPU? With so many open source media players
out their, writing another one for pi doesn't sound like the best use of
their resources.

Or, are there commercial factors to this?

--
Mayuresh