Re: Dockstar boots - was Re: Dockstar question

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:58 AM, John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost> wrote:
> I borrowed the MAX3232 from my Plextor landisk system to see what is up, and
> when it locks nothing appears on the console. I tried sending breaks, but I
> never saw anything written which made me think these devices can be brought
> to the firmware prompt.

I'm pretty sure mine is hitting a panic during boot, so where the boot
messages stop might be useful in this case even if it doesn't drop to
the debugger.

>> It would be really nice to get one more confirmation that sources
>> after June 11 or so will not produce a stable kernel.
>
> I think it's safe enough to say.

I'm less of an optimist I guess :) People say wpa_supplicant works for
them, and mine crashes every time. The callstack doesn't look sane to
me, but maybe I'll ask about it elsewhere. I'm still not positive that
my machine is good.

> With regards to instability in network use, I couldn't say since all I've
> done so far is scp a couple of gigabytes, but one of my Dockstars has been
> running simh for ten hours now, so strictly CPU-heavy tasks are fine.

I have ftp'd and scp'd multiple gigabytes of files with no problems.
It's only rsync that is giving me a problem so far.

> Thanks, everyone. So far, so good.

As long as you're using a kernel from June 11 or earlier, heh. I
suppose it might be time to look at CVS to see what changed. I'm not
really good enough with the code to do that, but I'll give it a try
with cvsweb.

Andy