[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
Re: Problem using a second pkgsrc unprivileged
On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 11:49 AM Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 22:48:10 +0100
> Connor McLaughlan <cont6pro3%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> > One last step missing is that i can't access the Xserver from within
> > the chroot. The error is not talking very much beside:
> > localhost$ xclock
> > Error: Can't open display: :0.0
> That is probably because it doesn't know there is Xserver running
> outside chroot. You need to allow TCP connections to Xserver and then
> set DISPLAY env variable to a correct value and allow X11 authorization
> via mit-magic-cookie. I don't remember the details, but there are
> plenty of tutorials out there.
Thank you all for your input.
In the end i am using both chroot and recompiling approaches.
With chroot i was able to compile packages of different pkgsrc-trees
with standard paths (/usr/pkg).
A last problem that i have not been able to solve is to have a program
running in the chroot open a window on the outside running Xserver.
First i tried the tcp based approach. provided the xauth token to the
chroot and enabled tcp on the Xserver("-nolisten tcp" has been
removed) , but no success. Accessing the Xserver works fine when i ssh
into the box. As soon as i switch to the chroot, it says that a
connection is not possible. Unfortunately there is not a good way to
The second approach was to access the socket of the Xserver in /tmp
from within the chroot by mounting it into the chroot. I was able to
do this without a problem on linux, but not on netbsd. Reading about
the problem on the internet is yielding a possible discrepancy in the
behavior between a linux "mount --bind" and a netbsd "mount_null".
So for now i gave up running stuff from within the chroot that needs
access to the Xserver.
I went on to do what i was trying to avoid: recompiling packages. So i
set pkgsrc up in a different location, bootstrapped it with a prefix,
varbase and unprivileged options set, adjusted my path to exclude any
/usr/pkg* and included the new pkgsrc locations /usr/qt3/pkg* and went
on compiling. Aside from the time needed to compile stuff, everything
runs as expected for me.
So thanks again to everyone for providing thoughts and hints.
Main Index |
Thread Index |