Re: Problem using a second pkgsrc unprivileged

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 1:21 PM Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 12:37:56 +0100
> Connor McLaughlan <cont6pro3%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>
> > I have root-access, but want to build several independent pkgsrc trees
> > on the same system, preferably with standard packages and paths, so i
> > don't have to recompile everything, but focus on where i want to work
> > on.
>
> I think the way you explain it, is causing some confusion, I still
> can't figure out what you're trying to do:
>
> 1) Have all packages installed in single /usr/pkg location, but be able
> to build new pkgsrc releases without affecting currently installed
> packages on the same machine. The way to do it is to build inside
> chroot (or inside a VM), and when new binary packages are ready,
> move /usr/pkg to /usr/pkg.old and install new packages to /usr/pkg.
>
> 2) Have two, /usr/pkg1 and /usr/pkg2 locations and use them at the same
> time. Not sure why you'd want to do that, but if it's to do with
> running different versions of the same software at the same time, then
> you really need zones/containers for this. Software like network
> daemons tend to use specific ports and setup specific users
> in /etc/passwd database. Some software can be easily adapted with
> different config file, with other software it is much harder to
> accomplish this, and you run into conflicts.

It is the second approach... /usr/pkg1 should be the main pkgsrc-tree
and providing the daemons.
/usr/pkg2 and /usr/pkg3 should be able to run in parallel, but using
the daemons of /usr/pkg1.

But they should not use pkg1/pkg3/pkg3, but instead the standard
package prefix to be able to use the same packages.
So i figured chroot is the only way to go.

But as this seems to be possibly a lot overhead, i am again rethinking
if i will not start recompiling packages for each path instead.

I am still undecided what could be the best approach. The fact that
packages are not installation path agnostic still puzzles me, but i
have to accept it, i guess.
As a third approach beside chroot and recompiling i could  try to see
how far i can get overriding package paths with pkg_add options.

Regards,
Connor