Re: Proposed package removals after 2016Q4

D'Arcy Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On 2016-12-20 10:18 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> This is a good point.  Demoting packages to wip serves the goal of
>> reducing maintenance/bulk-build burden in pkgsrc proper, and makes them
>> semi-available to people that care.
>
> I disagree but not strenuously.  WIP is such a muddle already that
> adding more just makes it worse.  The way I see it WIP has a few
> problems.

That's a fair point.   I am trying to balance muddle in wip and people
who want to still build things being able to.  But I asked on port-xen
if there are any such actual people.  Maybe there aren't.

>  1. No further subdivisions so everything is thrown into the same
> pot. I understand that subdivisions are not possible if it is going to
> work within the pkgsrc framework.

True, but semi-intractable.

>  2. No regular culling.  Once a package moves into the pkgsrc tree it
> should probably be removed from WIP.  I'm not even sure how easy it
> would be to identify them at this point.

Generally people remove them when packages move into pkgsrc.
If you find things in wip that have newer or same in pkgsrc, feel free
to delete them.

> Adding more packages that are never going to be moved back into the
> main tree seems to be exacerbating the problems.

I see that, but really I think the size of wip is so big that a few more
that are parked from removal is not the real issue, compared to packages
still in wip that have even less of a point.